Less mess = less stress!
Depending on your generation, you’ve either heard or said something to the effect of, “It looks like Hurricane Katrina came through here!” And if you’ve clicked on this link, chances are you really are curious about organizing your home life…not just the obvious things (dirty dishes, messy living rooms) but also the things that make life unmanageable: unfinished homework, needing to run to the store multiple times a week, that one corner in the garage where the boxes are still unpacked.
The stress can take a toll. Here are some great tips that will help you stay organized from day-to-day, as well as providing long-term solutions to avoid any big problems.
5 Tricks To Make Organizing Your Home Life A Snap
Delegate, delegate, delegate! Make a chore chart with each household member in charge of at least one task. They don’t have to be big tasks, but even small tasks like ‘picking up all the shoes and putting them in the closet’ can make a huge difference when performed daily.
Tackle the Clutter: Instead of constantly fielding questions of ‘whose is that?’ or ‘where does this go?’ all random/unidentifiable objects can go in a to-be-sorted bin. Have everyone pitch in to empty it once a week.
Go green by going digital. Technology makes organizing your home life easier than ever. Try…
- Apps like Wunderlist and Paprika.
- Wunderlistⓒ keeps everything from grocery lists to to-do lists synced between household members. Did dad leave for the store, and you forgot to tell him to get milk? No problem, just add it to the list on your phone and he’ll get a notification!
- Paprikaⓒ is the easiest way to search for and download recipes, plan meals, and keep track of your pantry.
- Synced Calendars. Both iPhones and Google provide ways to sync certain calendars across devices, showing each person’s events in different colors for readability.
- Have kids do homework on Googledocs for easy access, even while travelling. It also means no more excuses from computer crashes erasing documents–Googledocs automatically saves any and all new changes.
Write it down. Chore charts and a calendar with everyone’s events (sports, pta meetings, or parties) marked on it are essential to organizing your home life. Place it in a visible location so that everyone can get in the habit of checking it daily.
Remodel your home. Many huge obstacles to organizing home life can be taken care of with a quality remodel.
- Long lines at the bathroom every morning? Add one on!
- Dirt, snow and mud getting tracked all through the house, and coats abandoned willy-nilly? A mudroom will take care of that problem.
- Feeling cramped and lacking storage? Update your floor plan to be more open, and include built-in floor-to-ceiling storage while you’re at it!
- Hungry family members constantly devouring the contents of the refrigerator when you aren’t looking? A smart refrigerator means you can access a photo of the inside of your refrigerator from the last time it was opened, so you’ll always know if someone drank the last of the orange juice or ate the breakfast sausages you were going to have for brunch in the morning.
If you aren’t sure how to organize your home, or if a remodel is right for you, contact HOW today.